Monday, November 7, 2011

That one girl who hates Blankets...

Yeah, that was me. I am not a huge fan of Blankets. Let's set one thing straight though, I didn't hate it. So stop throwing me those side glance just because you fell in love at church camp and can totally  relate. I went to church camp too man, lay off.

I'm so awkward...
Now, Craig Thompson certainly has accomplished something here. It's beautifully drawn and is quite substantial in content and length. What bothers me is that I just don't believe what he has to say is very interesting. Just because you were an angsty teen with God issues surrounding your budding teenage sexuality doesn't make you special. If you went to church and reached puberty successfully in the Midwest this is just a right of passage. Call me jaded and unsentimental if you wish, I just seem to have a hard time grasping that this story really needed to be told in such detail. First love, heartbreak, coming of age, I get it, I just don't like the way it's told in this piece. The story structure seems really weak to me, he never really changes from beginning to end. And considering the length of the piece I have a lot of unanswered questions. Did he get molested? Did he tell anyone? What ever happened to Raina? Abuse? Also, the end is just "Then I moved away and became a graphic novelist" Oh really? Great ending Thompson, way to be clever.

What I find so interesting about this graphic novel is that people LOVE this story. So if you want to talk about how much you love it with me, get ready for a healthy debate because I'd love to know why you like it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment