Monday, November 7, 2011

America the intolerant.

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang was such a delightful read. A quick read, I read it in an afternoon before a daytime nap. (Which happen frequently in our house.) I picked up the book initially in the bookstore not knowing it's context within the class, which is stereotyping in comics. The whole book, as you can probably gather from the title focuses on the experience of being an American, with Chinese heritage. For whatever reason, Asian Americans are one minority that slips through the cracks of my consciousness. I have been fascinated with Spike Lee, and the African American experience for many years, I am always thinking about being a female and how they're represented in literature and film, and try my best to support the gay community as best I can, but I hardly ever consider being Asian in a white dominated world. This piece really opened my eyes. We follow three different storylines, and this is accomplished easily by Yang. I never got confused or bored by one storyline waiting to go back to my favorite one. I also really liked how they play on certain stereotypes and really turn them on their head. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a quick, fun read. Hell, you might even learn something about yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment