Monday, November 7, 2011

So if my teen years were depicted in a comic book I hope I'd be as cool as the chicks in Ghost World

I saw the movie Ghost World years ago before I read the graphic novel, because when you're 16 and want to be a filmmaker you see films like Ghost World. So you can talk about it with your other cool friends at the Dairy Hill, or Big Boy or wherever your friend is the waiter at and make fun of the popular assholes at the next table... oh Lord, does this sound like certain elements of Ghost World?

Let's just say I knew people like Enid and Rebecca growing up. My favorite part of the piece? The Dialogue!!! It's eerily accurate to the way teenage girls talk to each other. It boggles my mind that this was written by a guy in his mid thirties (at the time of publication). The way Enid and Rebecca cling to one another is so familiar. They want to be liked, they want to be different, they want to be together all the time (is that weird), they want a boyfriend (maybe?). These simple objectives that go on in the day to day life of a teenage girl are so impeccably depicted in this piece. Daniel Clowes doesn't make these girls out to be stupid or like Betty and Veronica, these girls have things to say and yes, they sometimes are mean and shallow and weird. But he doesn't judge them, or try to 'say' anything to a teenage audience about what's 'right' or 'wrong'. He simply let's them speak for themselves which so rarely happens to female characters of any genre. Bravo Mr. Clowes, Bravo!


No comments:

Post a Comment