Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Beginning of it all...

"This is my first graphic novel ever... and it literally just blew my mind.

<3 I LOVED THIS STORY!! Because of this graphic novel I have since read 'Fun Home', 'Persepolis', 'Blankets' and 'Box Office Poison'... mostly when I was supposed to be reading stuff for this class. (Sorry David)

I really enjoyed the non linear structure of the story, flipping from the past to the present. I believe that these flashbacks helped reveal Asterios in interesting bits and pieces to help us understand where he was in the present. Especially the parallel between the opening of the graphic novel and the dream he has later in the book illustrates the connection of time. The way the opening and his journey through hell link is so interesting. I love the way a graphic novel can express emotion in a way that is non verbal. When Asterios and Daisy fight, and he becomes the blue empty columns and Daisy becomes the red kinetic lines, it expresses the way that sometimes when people fight, they no longer speak the same language and can no longer communicate. But in such a beautiful visual way that is so specific to the graphic nature of the story. I also loved how the characters were so well developed, this story just really touched me and I'll always remember it as my first graphic novel. Of which I'm devouring like crazy."

--> My original blogpost on Asterios Polyp

No comments:

Post a Comment