Wednesday, September 7, 2011

McCloud knows a lot, but...

McCloud is certainly very educated and opinionated about his views on comics and how they work, yet his delivery sometimes gets in the way of his point. At times I found myself getting bored, or feeling like he was hammering a particular point to death when I already understood what he way trying to communicate. Perhaps this is due to the fact that this non-fiction analytical piece of work is very different from all other comics and graphic novels I've read in the past because there is no narrative. It felt more like an academic essay or paper as opposed to a story. 

I think my favorite part of the piece was  when he was describing how fluid time can be within a comic, let alone a single panel. This concept of a rope (illustrated above) is so interesting to me. I liked that this idea was something that I hadn't thought about consciously as a reader, but once he described it I instantly realized what I had been doing all along.



No comments:

Post a Comment